Foreign attackers may have gained access to the Clinton campaign’s private computer network, according to a new report from Reuters. It’s unclear what data was lost in the attack, although the Department of Justice is currently investigating the case.
The news comes on the heels of a similar attack on the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which may have compromised sensitive donor information, as well as a massive theft of emails from the Democratic National Committee, the result of which was ultimately published by Wikileaks.
“[Security experts] have found no evidence that our internal systems have been compromised.”
Clinton’s campaign suggests that this latest reported hack is really just an extension of the DNC attack. In a statement, the campaign said a shared analytics program was breached, but that it belonged to the DNC. Security experts, the campaign said, “have found no evidence that our internal systems have been compromised.”
The DNC attack was linked to Russia by a number of private groups, although the US intelligence community has yet to make an official determination. So far, no evidence has been published linking the new attacks to Russia, although the department of Justice appears to be investigating the attacks as a concerted campaign.
In a statement, the FBI said it was looking into various hacks being reported.
FBI STATEMENT: Bureau is “working to determine the accuracy, nature and scope of these matters.” It can’t confirm! pic.twitter.com/9CEjXi46eP
— Eric Geller (@ericgeller) July 29, 2016
Update July 29th, 5:59PM ET: This story has been updated with a statement from the FBI.
Update July 29th, 7:05PM ET: This story has been updated with a statement from the Clinton campaign.