Join gaming leaders, alongside GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming, for their 2nd Annual GamesBeat & Facebook Gaming Summit | GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2 this upcoming January 25-27, 2022. Learn more about the event.
Since the launch of its Endwalker expansion in December, Final Fantasy XIV has been popular. In fact, it’s been too popular. So many players swarmed the game that they overwhelmed the MMO’s servers, causing long queue waits and disconnections for those hoping to log in.
To combat this, Square Enix actually stopped selling game. Today, it announced that people can purchase FFXIV again starting on January 25.
Square Enix also revealed other steps that should help alleviate server congestion. The new Oceana data center will also open on January 25. This will give players in Australia and surrounding regions more local servers to play on, and it should help spread out the game’s population. Square Enix is also planning to expand the North American and European data centers starting this summer.
Also, starting January 26, players will once again be able to transfer their characters to different servers. The data center travel system, which Square Enix also delayed due to the game’s congestion, is coming in a future patch.
The 2nd Annual GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming Summit and GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2
You can read more details about these plans from Final Fantasy XIV producer and director Naoki Yoshida here.
GamesBeat’s creed when covering the game industry is “where passion meets business.” What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you — not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it.
How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and “open office” events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties
- Safari and iOS users: Your browsing activity is being leaked in real time
- After Growing 700% Walnut Gets $35M Series B Financing Led by Felicis
- Hulu: All the TV shows and movies coming in February 2022
- ‘Zero-Click’ Zoom Vulnerabilities Could Have Exposed Calls
- 5 considerations for saving more and wasting less on cloud services